Use this tag if you are asking about the usage of Auxiliary/Helping Verbs. Auxiliary/Helping Verbs are verbs that are used with other full verbs to make the different tenses, voice or modality in a sentence.
Auxiliary Verbs have many functions:
- Express Tense (past, present, future, etc.)
- I am writing a novel.
- If he doesn't arrive on time, he'll have to take a later flight.
- I can see clearly now the rain has gone.
- Voice (relationship between actions and participants)
The chair was moved to the other side of the room.
- Add emphasis to a sentence
- Did they like the movie?
Forms of the Auxiliary Verb Be:
- Be, Been, Am, Is, Are, Was, Were
Forms of the Auxiliary Verb Do:
- Do, Does, Did
Forms of the Auxiliary Verb Have:
- Have, Has, Had
Modal Auxiliary Verbs:
- Can, Could, May, Might, Must, Ought to, Shall, Should, Will, Would