It is called a "sleeve." Although the primary meaning refers to that part of clothing which covers the wearer's arms in part or in whole, by analogy it has come to mean a tightly fitting, tubular protective covering. See Merriam-Webster for a more detailed definition.


It is called, not surprisingly, a hand towel. Here's an example of the phrase in live usage: Macy's hand towels.


It's called a link. From Wikipedia, A chain is a series of connected links which are typically made of metal. A chain may consist of two or more links.


It is called a pen cap Do you know where the cap for this pen is? is an often heard question for small children after they've been drawing.


No, a "tongue twister" is a sentence that is very difficult to say correctly. For example: She sells seashells on the seashore The sixth sheik's sixth sheep's sick. Which wristwatches are Swiss wristwatches? What the child in the picture is doing is called tongue rolling. See Tongue rolling on Wikipedia for more information.


"Dough" is what we call the raw, prepared bread mixture before it is cooked. A "loaf" is what we call a whole, cooked leavened bread, made with yeast so that it rises. This is the kind normally prepared in a baking tin and most common in western cultures. A loaf is normally cut into slices for serving. Wikipedia defines a "loaf" as "a shape, usually a ...


I expect most Americans, when seeing this, would call it a Swiffer, even if it is not actually a Swiffer brand product. It’s similar to how many Americans call any kind of facial tissue a Kleenex. After doing a web search for "dust mop", I agree with Corvus B that the generic term for this product seems to be dust mop.


In British School, that would be more likely to be called a 'Sports Hall' than a 'Gym'. In Britain, one tends to think of a 'Gym' as a room with weights, and machines, rather than a large hall.


The word is net. I'm a maths teacher, and this is the standard term used in Australia. I'm fairly sure it's the same in other parts of the English-speaking world, thanks to sources like: Wikipedia Wolfram MathWorld It's worth noting that this is not a common thing for most people to talk about, and unfortunately, "net" also has other (more common) ...


This is called a lining: material that lines or that is used to line especially the inner surface of something (as a garment)(MW) You would ask questions such as: What are those boots lined with? Is the lining removable? Do you have any gloves with fur lining?


I would simply call it the underside of the table. The underside of something is the part of it which normally faces towards the ground. (Collins Dictionary)


She is opening the bottle by unscrewing the cap or removing the cap. Edit based on feedback from commeonts: if you say opening the cap people will understand what you mean. It might also be a regional idiom in some places.


The anatomical term for it is the thenar eminence: However, this is a scientific term, known mostly to medical students and doctors. It's not in general use. I had never even heard of it until I started googling just now. A few sources say thenar prominence. If you're wondering, both "eminence" and "prominence" come from a Latin verb meaning to project or ...


To the best of my knowledge, it's called a howdah. "howdah: a seat or covered pavilion on the back of an elephant or camel" https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/howdah Please bear in mind that this is not originally an English word, but a Persian / Urdu / Arabic one. However, as with much of English, rather than come up with our own words for ...


In AmE, they would be called "tire tracks". Possibly also "tread marks" but that would more likely be used for marks left on a hard surface like concrete or pavement.


There are a few different names for it, which vary in preference depending on your locale. I've heard pen cap and pen lid, and while doing some further research on this question top seems to be a word used as well. For the most part they can be used interchangeably, though some people will insist lid is incorrect. Lid is the natural word for me, so your ...


Finger food comes to mind. You were close with your thumb! They are also conventionally called appetizers or hors d'oeuvres, even though according to the strict definitions appetizers or hors d'oeuvres precede proper meals, whereas at cocktail parties, an actual meal does not normally follow.


It's mostly called a "tyre tread/track mark" or a "tyre tread pattern", also a "tyre track" and a "tyre print", for instance: tyre tread pattern in mud, tyre track mark in mud or tyre print in mud In British English it's "tyre", and it's "tire" in American English.


Although I see nothing wrong with overflows proposed by the answers and people casually call it that way, since I see in the comments that it technically refers to the whole system, I'd like to suggest the compound noun overflow holes. I did a search and found out it's actually quite common. I found some posts in Home Improvement Stack concerning these holes,...


As you noted, "chandelier" does normally refer to larger, more ornate pieces than this, despite its literal meaning of "candle holder". In general, a light that is fixed is called a "light fitting" or "light fixture" (in contrast to desk lamps, or standing lamps that are pieces of furniture and can be moved). A light fitting could be a "ceiling light", a "...


The phrase you are looking for (in BrE at least) is tread marks. They can also be called tyre tracks. These are not specific to tread patterns left in mud, but can also be used if a vehicle leaves rubber tyre marks on a hard road.


These items are called sink overflows and are a common feature on baths and sinks. They are present to prevent the sink from overflowing with water should the plughole be blocked (by a plug for example). For more information, see this article on overflows on a website that sells sinks and faucets.


Are you looking for something more specific than stretch? stretch 1 : to extend (one's limbs, one's body, etc.) in a reclining position (M-W) You could call it a morning stretch or a wake-up stretch, but I don't how common those are, and either could easily mean a yoga-like stretch intended as light exercise done after waking up.


A historic term for a coffee cup sleeve would be zarf -- it traditionally refers to nondisposable Turkish metal sleeves but has also been used to refer to the disposable paper ones. (Disclaimer: I've only once heard a sleeve actually being referred to as a zarf at a coffeeshop, and it was a "hey did you know" kind of thing from the barista)


Without expressing awesomeness, the term is niche a recess in a wall, especially for statues. From the architectural feature the figurative meaning of "a special place" either in a professional, scientific or ecological context is derived.

Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible