Member for 8 years, 4 months
Last seen this week
Yekaterinburg, Sverdlovsk Oblast, Russia
A freelance translator, born and living in Russia. Male, born in May 1978. My native language is Russian.
Why 'Copper Kettle'? Because it's a great song, especially the version sung by Joan Baez.
Why 'Cowper'? Because William Cowper.
A user quipped in a comment to my post about Cowper's poem that I should rename myself CowperKettle from CopperKettle, and I did.
"Nothing more true than not to trust your senses; And yet what are your other evidences?"
To read up:
- True Light Verb vs. Vague Action Verb
- aspect - In English the perfect construction does not express perfective aspect; that is expressed by the simple past form. The name perfect for the HAVE+past participle construction is a misleading historical accident.
- PEU 90 - be with auxiliary do (CGEL: "lexical be"; Quirk et al - ? )
- NICE auxiliaries criteria: negation, inversion, emphasis and code.
- Quirk et al. p.839 - optative mood
- I doubt this (all) the more - the as modifier or adverb
- Depictive secondary predicates vs. Depictive adjuncts
- A rectangle is not a circle --> It is not a rectangle a circle (dislocation, extraposition).