Do you know babybel cheese that round and covered in red wax casing. Before you get to the wax part, you need to first peel the flimsy vinyl. What is this vinyl part called? Package or packaging?

Let's open the package/packaging.

  • 2
    I'd call it a "wrapper". May 26, 2015 at 18:35

1 Answer 1


Where I live, Babybel is usually sold with three layers of packaging:

  • Each individual cheese has a wax coating.
  • Around the wax coating is a plastic wrapper. (Or just wrapper )
  • Several cheeses in their wax and plastic packaging are then packed together in a mesh bag.

When you are ready to eat one, you open the mesh bag, select a cheese, and remove the wrapper and the wax. (Which you do by unwrapping the plastic, then peeling the wax off.)

  • Thank you, then would you use interchangably the wrapper and wrapping?
    – Joe Kim
    Jun 3, 2015 at 16:27
  • 1
    In general, I do not use wrapping as a noun. Exception: Homemade coverings for gifts. The term wrapping paper refers to paper made specifically for wrapping things. Sometimes I wrap birthday presents using newspapers, or the funny pages (newspaper comic strips.) Sometimes I use wrapping paper. If I were encouraging someone to open a present I had wrapped with newspaper, I might say "Take off the wrapping." ......
    – Adam
    Jun 3, 2015 at 17:15
  • .....For a commercially made cheeseburger wrapped in paper, however, I would say "take off the paper" or "take off the wrapper." I can't claim that this is universal - it might be a personal idiosyncrasy. You would certainly be understood either way. I would be interested to hear what other native speakers think about this nuance. @TRomano?
    – Adam
    Jun 3, 2015 at 17:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .