There are two containers connected with a thin sheet of plastic for keeping a pair of contact lenses. Should we call them (or it)

Contact lenses cases


A contact lenses case


Contact lens cases


A contact lens case

enter image description here

  • 1
    This is perhaps my idiosyncrasy, but I'd use "a contact lens case."
    – MaxW
    Mar 19 '16 at 4:50

For a single container to hold multiple items, both container and contained are singular. A matchbox, a briefcase, a bookshelf, a notebook, a sock drawer.

Glasses case is widely used, maybe because glass case would be confusing. Some people are not comfortable with this usage and say spectacle case instead.

The correct term is therefore

a contact lens case

  • Eyeglass case may be more productive than glass(es) case. Or case for my glasses. Mar 19 '16 at 17:19
  • @AlanCarmack, according to Ngram, spectacle case >> eyeglass case for British English, but eyeglass case > spectacle case for American English. Odd, when the order is glasses >> spectacles > eyeglasses for both languages.
    – JavaLatte
    Mar 19 '16 at 17:35
  • Yeah, just reporting on my own real life usage in the past few days to describe the object; (AmE). I expanded it to case for my glasses rather than say glass(es) case. It is weird though, that many folks don't seem to know that lens is singular. Mar 19 '16 at 18:39

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .