How can I address a teacher when I don't know his or her name? Can I say "excuse me sir" or "excuse me teacher"?

  • 3
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because the answer depends entirely upon the local custom in a questioner's culture and community. – P. E. Dant Reinstate Monica Nov 9 '16 at 5:53
  • "Hey, teacher!" quote by Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) – SovereignSun Nov 9 '16 at 12:33
  • Is it your teacher? Years ago I used to work on trade shows, and I addressed teachers with either "Go away" or "Not another teacher...". – gnasher729 Nov 10 '16 at 16:34



is sufficient to address an instructor in most situations, though custom may vary by culture.

For example,

sensei, or 先生

is usually translated to mean "teacher" but has additional context in Asian cultures.

In a western culture university setting

Professor surname

is usually appropriate.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.