The sentence is " There is the letter T in the end of the word and the letter C in the other end". Can you call the start of the word the other end?

  • 1
    Its not clear what you are asking. Did you read this sentence somewhere, and want help to understand it? If so, where did you read it. If you wrote it yourself, you should try to re-write it using "start", as that would be much clearer.
    – James K
    Oct 14, 2019 at 21:28
  • 1
    Can you? Yes. Should you? Probably not, because it confuses the meaning of the word "end". Why not just write it the other way around? There is a letter C at the start of the word, and a T at the other end" e.g. carrot
    – Andrew
    Oct 14, 2019 at 21:29
  • 3
    I am afraid I thought of a word, and it isn't carrot. Oct 14, 2019 at 21:38
  • 1
    Would I be right in thinking this is a spoken thing (especially if it's the word I'm thinking of) to describe somebody in a slightly less obvious manner than just saying the word? If so, yes, you could say it like that.
    – Smock
    Oct 15, 2019 at 8:56
  • The first and last letter in a word. The letter T is located at the beginning of the word.
    – Lambie
    Feb 24, 2021 at 16:17

1 Answer 1


The idiom is "one end" and "the other end."

You can omit "one end" only if you specified it earlier in conversation or context can fill in the details.

The "start" will always be whatever is the "one end".

This idiom is used for very long things, so you are implying this word is extremely long (it may be painted on a long billboard, for example).

There is the letter T in one end of the word and the letter C in the other end.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .