I'm writing an essay (fiction) in past tense.
- He went. She slept. I said. etc.
How do I correctly express activity before the time of action ?
- He went home. But before that he had eaten a sandwich.
- He went home. But before that he has been eating a sandwich.
- I lay in my bed and remembered the last dream I had have.
- I lay in my bed and remembered the last dream I have had.
Which one is correct ? Are both correct ? Do they express the same thing or something different ? Explanation ? Technical terms ?
(I guess I learned it in school but I forgot it. I'm not native English.)