I'm searching for a word that could be used to refer to projects that I created in the context of my academic studies.

Background: I'm working on my personal website and want to have a navigation menu item that links to a list of projects I created in college. I'm unhapy with the phrase "college projects", because I'd rather use only one word instead of two and because of the ambiguity of the word "college"; I'm studying at the University of Cologne, which AFAIK would be refered to as a university rather than a college, though I could never really wrap my head around the different meanings of both words.

So, is there a single word for that meaning? And if not, what (preferably short) phrase could I use to refer to that without said ambiguity?

First, I wanted to use the word "studies", but AFAIK that could also mean something entirely different, since "studying" not only refers to academic studies, but also to research or examination in generel; is that correct?

  • 3
    You could use "academic" projects instead.
    – Jim
    Commented Jan 30, 2015 at 20:52
  • Why are we helping you find a single word?
    – TimR
    Commented Jan 30, 2015 at 22:28
  • Because a single word looks better in a navigation menu. Also, I was wondering if there was any such word, since in general, most english words that refer to academic studies are very ambiguous (contrary to similar expressions in German). But as I said, if there is no such word, a phrase as short as possible is perfectly fine!
    – MoritzLost
    Commented Jan 30, 2015 at 22:32
  • 1
    What is the German word you'd use?
    – TimR
    Commented Jan 30, 2015 at 23:02
  • Just curious, why do you feel the need to separate your portfolio by something as arbitrary as whether it was done for a professor or for a client? Commented Jan 30, 2015 at 23:07

2 Answers 2


Classwork refers to work done in class, as distinct from homework, work done outside of class for the class. But if your classes were "hands-on" labs, "classwork" might do. If not, "Work for Class" or "Class Work" would be succinct.

  • Does this term also refer to acedemic settings (in distinction from school work)?
    – MoritzLost
    Commented Jan 30, 2015 at 23:21
  • By "academic" do you mean "college|university" as distinct from "secondary|high school" (German Gymnasium)? If so, yes; one can take college or university "classes".
    – TimR
    Commented Jan 31, 2015 at 2:18

I would suggest that you have created a portfolio. The purpose of your site is to promote your work to clients or employers. The work demonstrates your abilities. Portfolio often refers to artistic or creative work but this use is still a good fit. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/portfolio

  • Well, I have a portfolio page, but that is a collection of some stuff I made, not necessarily connected to my academic studies. I want to make clear that everything on that list was explicitly created in the context of a course at university.
    – MoritzLost
    Commented Jan 30, 2015 at 21:06
  • 1
    How about coursework then?
    – whanrott
    Commented Jan 30, 2015 at 21:11
  • To my understanding, coursework only refers to written works, doesn't it? I should mention that my academic projects include written assignments as well as short films and multimedia/website-projects
    – MoritzLost
    Commented Jan 30, 2015 at 21:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .