Is there any specific word for describing someone who sells pictures, drawings, paintings, or works of art in English? (Oh and also this "someone" trades (or deals(?)) paintings as well.)

There are lots of words for someone who just sells things, such as "seller, dealer, merchant, but I couldn't find what I'm looking for.

Wouldn't there be a better choice than "picture-seller"?


I know them as art dealers (Wikipedia):

An art dealer is a person or company that buys and sells works of art. Art dealers' professional associations serve to set high standards for accreditation or membership and to support art exhibitions and shows.


you could also use gallery owner as art galleries are typically where such sales are conducted

  • 7
    A gallery owner does not necessarily sell paintings. – Drossel Nov 22 '17 at 14:24
  • 3
    @Drossel and people who sell paintings may not necessarily have a gallery. – BruceWayne Nov 22 '17 at 21:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.