My house is located on a side street that branches from a main street. If I wanted to formally write my home address, how should I do it? I'm thinking:

[Side street name], branching from [main street name]


I'm going to send this information to US State Department via this web-form:

enter image description here

  • 1
    The form does not ask you to specify the main street or side street. It asks you to fill in the name of the actual name of the street on which you live. It could not be clearer. The second address line is for: Apt. 5 [apartment numbers] or Residence Five, for example.
    – Lambie
    Oct 30, 2018 at 17:30
  • I think if you were to include the wording Alan recommends (off {Intersecting Street Name} ) in Address Line 2 you should be OK.
    – TimR
    Oct 30, 2018 at 17:32
  • No, the wording in Arabic is not relevant here at all. It is not used in English. Please do not give the OP misleading information. The form is a very typical form in English. The receiving database will not accept things like Off [x] street.
    – Lambie
    Oct 30, 2018 at 17:33
  • 1
    Just use Address Line 2 for this bit of info, and use whatever English words your local post office will understand best: "branching from " : big street name or "off" big street name, because the US computer is just going to spit out what it finds in Address Line 2.
    – TimR
    Oct 30, 2018 at 17:46
  • 1
    What Arab-speaking country is this?
    – Lambie
    Oct 30, 2018 at 18:35

2 Answers 2


Addressing conventions vary from country to country. In the US, for example, a street address does not usually contain information about so-called "cross-streets", but takes this basic format:

{Number} {Street}  {Floor, Apartment, Condo#, etcetera)
{CityName}, {StateAbbreviation} {PostalCode}

such as

1234 Elm Street Apt 6
Albany, NY 12203

You could say that your street intersects a particular street.

  • @Lambie actually I mean to send my address to US State Department. In Arabic, the idea of X branching from Y is a standard addressing format. I wanted to know if branching from would sound familiar, or if not, the best alternative.
    – Sara
    Oct 30, 2018 at 17:10
  • I really don't know. Your local US consulate is probably the best place to ask. You want to make sure your address is in a format that can be entered properly into the State Department database so that when it is printed out on an envelope it will be in the proper format for the envelope to be delivered to your house.
    – TimR
    Oct 30, 2018 at 17:27
  • @Lambie, please see my post edit
    – Sara
    Oct 30, 2018 at 17:28
  • @ Tᴚoɯɐuo Yes, I think I should. I just wanted to know if branching from would make sense to a native speaker of English.
    – Sara
    Oct 30, 2018 at 17:31
  • I think your question should be "Will the address generated by the US State Department computer make sense to my local postal office?" not whether "branching from" would make sense to an American. US personnel will probably enter into the database whatever you put on the form. Enter the address so that return mail will reach you. The envelope printing algorithm won't be nuanced, I imagine.
    – TimR
    Oct 30, 2018 at 17:35

The usual phrasing is "off [main street]" (see definition 1b, MW). In speech you will often hear "off of", though there's some debate over whether this is valid usage.

Tᴚoɯɐuo is correct, though, that if you want to actually write down your address rather than just describe its location, you would follow the standard format for the relevant area.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .