0

If I had a day off from work next week, I would go to the beach.

What does this mean ?

1). I know that there is little possibility for day off next week and imagining if I have a day off next week

2). I am sure that I won’t have a day off next week and just imagining what if I have a day off

If both are correct, what comes first to a native speaker?

  • It doesn't mean either of those things—and neither interpretation "comes first." I could say the original sentence whether there was a 5% chance of me having a day off next week or there was a 95% chance of it. Hypotheticals, as statements, have nothing to do with the probability or liklihood of the triggering event occurring. They only describe something being imagined, and the consequences that can result if something does happen. – Jason Bassford Jul 2 at 16:33
-1

From my point of view, "sure" is not supposed to be used for anything in the future - simply because we cannot see (yet?) into the future. Therefore, there is always a small mount of uncertainty.

From this point of view, "little possibility" and "sure" mean the same thing.


Note: Your statement number 2 should actually be written as:

I am sure that if nothing major changes I won't have a day off next week...

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.