What is the best word to refer to the thing in the image below? I want a word that is super clear so when I tell someone to take the key inside it, they know what I am talking about.

box to store keys with combination 9476, attached to a fence

  • There isn't a common name for this rare thing.
    – James K
    Commented Jul 30, 2022 at 20:00

2 Answers 2


That's a lock box. For a bit more precision you can call it a door combination lock box.

See for example:

According to Collins, it's known as a lockbox in the US and a keysafe in the UK.

  • Is lock box the term that is used in the U.S? In this Australian store, it's referred as "(Portable) Key Storage Safe" bunnings.com.au/products/building-hardware/… Commented Jul 30, 2022 at 10:07
  • Great answer. It's nice to know that it's actually a compound word in UK and US . lockbox/keysafe. In Australia key safe seems to be the common form of it. Commented Jul 31, 2022 at 21:45

It's called a lock box.

It's often used by real estate agents to store the keys for a house so that any agent with the combination can get the keys. It's sometimes used with AirBnB properties as well.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .