In both of the groups below:
- Could you dress the children?
- Could you put on the children?
- I bathed her and dressed her in her new clothes.
- I bathed her and put her new clothes on her.
I think both the latter sentences of each group are awkward and the verb used in them (put on) does not work in this sense.
But in the group below:
- I can’t bend. Could you dress me in my socks?
- I can’t bend. Could you put my socks on me?
I think the first one is a bit odd and not natural. Do you confirm my conclusion from these all?