What would be an appropriate term for a person who says a lot of things but conveys no useful information in saying them? I thought that this is a demagogy, but Wikipedia says that demagogy is proposing popular ideas rather than saying nothing with many words.

Summarizing the answers: The discussion here had decided that the answer is windbag. However, the difference between windbag and demagogue says that demagogue can be more appropriate if zero windbag "argument" successfully attracts the public opinion.

  • 1
    Your question might be better asked on our English Language & Usage site. This isn't really a question about "governments, policies and political processes", per se. – Robert Cartaino Jun 11 '13 at 15:59
  • 1
    @DVK I believe this is an EL&U question. It's not an "English as a second language" learning issue. – Robert Cartaino Jun 11 '13 at 16:27
  • 1
    I think that if someone could give a good answer to that question, than people could make use of that answer in various political discussions. I think it's a fair question for this site. – Sam I am Jun 11 '13 at 17:00
  • 3
    Windbag, maybe? – StasM Jun 13 '13 at 4:01
  • 1
    @StasM is exactly correct. See this definition of windbag: A talkative person who communicates nothing of substance or interest. Note that it this is a derogatory term. (I don't believe anyone would consider it a compliment to be called a windbag.) – JLG Jun 17 '13 at 12:42

A person like this is sometimes referred to as a windbag. His talking is just the equivalent of "blowing wind;" that is, not meaningful.

| improve this answer | |

Verbose: using or containing too many words; "long-winded (or windy) speakers"

Levin smiled joyfully; he was struck by this transition from the confused, verbose discussion with Pestsov and his brother to this laconic, clear, almost wordless communication of the most complex ideas.

Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, Leo

Garrulous: Given to excessive and often trivial or rambling talk; tiresomely talkative.

Often, when they had no more agreeable occupation at hand, the Misses Murray would amuse themselves with visiting the poor cottagers on their father's estate, to receive their flattering homage, or to hear the old stories or gossiping news of the garrulous old women

Agnes Grey by Bronte, Anne

Prolix: Tediously prolonged; wordy:

"The manner is indifferent," interrupted Inez, too anxious to await the prolix explanations of the old man; "why is the visit made?

The Prairie by Cooper, James Fenimore

An ineffectual speaker: Someone whose speech lacks forcefulness or effectiveness; weak

Or more simply a bore: One that is wearingly dull, repetitive, or tedious.

| improve this answer | |
  • Won't agree much with verbose as it's about using more words not necessarily useless words. However, +1 for Garrulous. – Maulik V Jan 9 '14 at 11:07

"Blatherer" and "blithering idiot" and "bloviator" are insulting terms for "a person who says nothing in many words".

Sometimes the job of a "diplomat" is to say "nothing in many words". On the other hand, sometimes the job of a diplomat is to be very clear and to the point.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.