The term "drifting apart" is often used for situations when two people who were close together (usually emotionally) slowly and gradually lose interest in each other, without one specific trauma separating them. It just happens slowly over time.

What is the opposite of this effect? Can "drifting together" be used? I've seen the former term used a lot, but never the latter one.

1 Answer 1


As "drifting" implies a slow process, I would suggest that the opposite of "drifted apart" would be "grew together".

  • I think 'drifted' can work just as well with 'together' as it does with 'apart'. It carries an implication of lack of control, awareness or conscious direction, which 'grew' does not. Jun 24, 2018 at 19:08
  • There's 'closer' too, aside from the debate on whether 'drifting' is intentional or accidental. Jun 24, 2018 at 19:42
  • For "drift", Oxford has "Move passively, aimlessly, or involuntarily into a certain situation or condition." Jun 24, 2018 at 20:09
  • @michaelharvey Disagree. "Drift" is directionless, which is fine for parting but doesn't really fit two people becoming closer.
    – Astralbee
    Jun 24, 2018 at 20:27
  • Wouldn't the opposite imply a quickness of coming together?
    – Peter
    Jun 24, 2018 at 20:32

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .