Some teachers intentionally slow down their speech to let students hear them clearly. Meanwhile, they keep the contraction to let students learn the pronunciation point.

For example, when speaking slowly, "an apple" would be pronounced /æn . ˈæpəl/. When speaking slow in a teaching way, the phrase would be pronounced /ən . ˈnæpəl/.

How do I refer to this kind of teaching technique/tip/approach?

  • I very much doubt that there is a word for this. Does a word or expression exist in your language?
    – James K
    Commented Jul 19, 2020 at 6:40
  • @JamesK I've never heard of something like that in my language.
    – JQQ
    Commented Jul 19, 2020 at 10:16
  • You did well explaining it. If you want a single word with that meaning, then you might have to invent one.
    – brainchild
    Commented Jul 19, 2020 at 11:15
  • 1
    Teachers articulate well, or should. An apple doesn't have a contraction. doesn't is a contraction.
    – Lambie
    Commented Apr 2, 2023 at 15:42
  • 1
    Why would you say "an napple"? Who does that? I don't think that's a usual or helpful way of speaking even in education. If you've just made this up then obviously there's not going to be a word for it.
    – Stuart F
    Commented Aug 31, 2023 at 18:28

2 Answers 2


You could write, "In language learning a common pedagogical approach involves enunciating each word slowly and separately.

Perhaps, "enunciate" is the word you are looking for.

  • 1
    Doesn't quite work. Enunicate would mean "an ... apple" not "an .. napple"
    – James K
    Commented Mar 28, 2023 at 19:32

Most Americans call the technique, "going slow".

For example,

STUDENT: "I don't understand why that works. Can you go slow for me?"

TEACHER: "Yes. I will go slowly this time."

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .