Is there a word of phrase for 'pronunciational etymology', which refers to pronunciation origins and change over time for a particular word?

E.g. What is the ____ of the word 'one'?

  • I don't think there's one word for this. Certainly the place to look this up would be the online etymology dictionary, though. – hunter May 29 '15 at 18:39

Phonological History tell you how the components sound of a word evolves but I don't think there's a word describing the history of the pronuciation of a word itself.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.