I don't think we call it a wind, because it's not a wind if the air is hitting you, because the car is moving at a high speed. Is there a specific word for stagnant air (doesn't have to be stagnant since there can be a little wind in there too) that rushes into the car, because you are driving at a high speed?

  • 6
    on the highway, not in. – Lambie Mar 13 '19 at 0:18
  • 2
    For boats and aircraft, where the distinction between 'air moving on its own' and 'vehicle moving relative to air' is important, this is called apparent (vs true) wind. For land vehicles the difference usually doesn't matter. – dave_thompson_085 Mar 13 '19 at 5:25

In America, we call it wind. For example, there are song lyrics about riding in a car (or maybe on a motorcycle) with the "wind in my hair."

This is also part of why the front glass on an American car or motorcycle is called a "windshield".

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    And In many parts of the world, that windshield is called windscreen. Even outside America wind should do. – Hanky Panky Mar 13 '19 at 6:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.