What do you call the sound emitted by a car horn? Is there a formal, non-informal term for the sound? I am pretty sure there is an informal and a formal word for it, but I rather have the formal word.

1 Answer 1


The word is honk.

  1. (transitive, intransitive) To use a car horn.

    They stood and observed how long it took for the other cars to honk.

  2. (intransitive) To make a loud, harsh sound like a car horn

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .