What do you call the servants who follow a king during a procession? I am pretty sure there was a word for it, but I don't know if the word only applied to the people in a procession or not.

  • Attendants? But servants wouldn’t normally be in a royal procession; that was reserved for other nobles (including the king’s family) and sometimes clerics, in order of rank.
    – StephenS
    Aug 22 '20 at 5:07
  • 2
    Entourage - a group of people surrounding an important person.
    – Ram Pillai
    Aug 22 '20 at 5:14
  • 1
    I assume you mean 'officials in the King's service' rather than 'domestic servants'. Ram's suggestion is a good one; you could use 'courtiers' in a historical context. It might depend on what kind of procession it was. Aug 22 '20 at 7:26

One term is retinue for which Lexico has


A group of advisers, assistants, or others accompanying an important person.

The scale and precise role of the retinue of officers and servants who travelled with a prince has not been established.

  • This word is not exclusive to a procession or to a king. Can you clarify the question, please. Aug 22 '20 at 7:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.