What's the room of a medical staff only enter to it to rest and eat. Can I call it 'staffroom'? (I saw on Wikipedia that it's more for teachers' staff.

  • On the American medical TV drama "Grey's Anatomy" there's such a room called the "on-call room".
    – gotube
    Jul 20 at 20:28
  • According to what I found this room has bed/s, and I'm asking about a room in any medical department not necessarily attended for sleep and doesn't have beds but may have chairs and sofa for a temporary sitting or having a coffee, lunch, or supper. Jul 20 at 22:13
  • See also this english.stackexchange.com/questions/279451/…
    – boscoche
    Jul 21 at 0:17
  • 1
    Note that the Wikipedia page 'has issues'. It is incorrect in implying that staffrooms are only found in schools and colleges. Jul 21 at 8:13

I can only answer for the UK. The term staff room is commonly in use for a room provided for the medical and other staff to relax and gossip. It may also have food and drinks. The term doctors mess is also used, here is a link to one in the south of the UK http://www.sghdoctorsmess.co.uk/. I would expect that if such a facility were restricted to a specific grade of staff it would be called, for example, the consultants' mess as saying the consultants' staff room seem a bit tautological. (Consultants in the UK are the highest grade of registered medical practitioners. Whether in these more egalitarian times they still have separate facilities I do not know, it is some time since I worked in a hospital.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.