what is the following instrument called in English?
Essentially, this instrument is composed of 5-6 vertical small wood-sticks, aligned one beside the other, and all attached by threads. You attach this outside and the air would move the sticks and they collide to make sound. Rough picture:

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


This is a "wind chime".

If you want to be fancy, you could call it an "aeolian chime".

  • +1 I love the new vocabulary, but if I heard someone call that an "aeolian chime" I would think that it was an item you could collect in a video game. :) Dec 17, 2014 at 21:48
  • 1
    @Jason Patterson -- I am familiar with the terms "wind chime" and "aeolian harp". "Aeolian chime" is also new to me, and I have not heard of "wind harps".
    – Jasper
    Dec 17, 2014 at 21:58
  • 2
    Given Aeolian chime, I would expect the chimes to be tuned to the Aeolian mode!
    – mkennedy
    Dec 18, 2014 at 22:30

Wind chime is the most common, particularly in American English, but they may also be called wind bells.

Converted my comment into an answer in the interest of getting ELL's answer ratio closer to 2 per question.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .