I mean, in the context analogous to when there's a side road leading off a main road.

I look for a term that replaces such a 'side road' when I'm speaking about caves.

Is 'branch' a correct term or do I need to use something like 'passage' or 'section' and be more specific instead?


1 Answer 1


Depends on what kind of cave it is. Branch-work caves are most common and they are called “branches”, “passages”, or “tributaries”.

Also, we generally say “what do I call X” rather than “how do I”. It is proper to say “how do I say “xxx” “.

  • Thanks for the help and advice. Tributaries are some sort of 'water' caves, did I understand correctly?
    – Ambu
    Jul 24, 2020 at 5:51
  • Many caves were formed by flows of water. So even if the cave is dry now, they may use the riverine term “tributary”.
    – Patrick
    Jul 24, 2020 at 5:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .