enter image description here

Is there a specific word for these diagonal bars? I doubt engineers would call them diagonal bars since they're widely used in engineering, radio towers and bridges off my head use them.


This is called cross bracing--diagonal supports used to reinforce the structure of a building or bridge or similar.

Individually, the bars might be called beams or girders.

  • The word I would have offered is in your answer: "supports".
    – J.R.
    Jun 18 '19 at 9:37
  • I don't feel this answer gives enough context. thats why I made my answer, Jun 18 '19 at 16:44

The overall structure might be called a space frame, although that term is more often used for structures that cover, roof, or enclose an area, rather than support a tower. Still the bascic structure of triangular bracing is similar.


In Structural Engineering, this kind of building group is called Trusses. Trusses are a Structure that is made from 3 Sides, as the triangle is considered the Strongest Shape to build with. That said, they use it to create Cross-Bracing made up of Members as they are called; Beams or Girders (Horizontal Members), Columns or Posts (Vertical Members) and Panels (Wall/Cover Members).

A good truss reference: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/truss

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.